Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pecan Pie Recipe {and Crust}

I was never crazy about pie until I made the crust from scratch.  Actually, the crust makes the pie, so now I can never go back to a store bought pre-made crust.  The trick is butter, and lots of it - not melted but cold and broken up with your fingers and clumpy so that when you bake it, the pockets of butter melts, making your pie oh so flakey.  It has become sort of a tradition that I bake a pecan pie every year.  Well, so far a 3 year tradition.

I use this crust recipe from smitten kitchen and this pecan pie recipe from Cooking for Engineers.  Since the crust recipe can yield 2 pie crusts without the top, I double the pecan recipe so that I get 2 pies.  I also cut the sugar and maple syrup in half, since I don't like my pecan pies too sweet, but some friends of mine discourage this.  Happy baking!



1 comment:

  1. I also don't like my pies too sweet, but rather than cut the sugar, I double the pecans to get more into my pans which are the glass pyrex. It fills the crusts well.

    ReplyDelete