Friday, August 10, 2012

Refreshing pop

I've been pretty lazy about the music I am listening to this year.  Researching music to collect can become a full-time job, and if not done consistently, my music seems outdated to my ears.  Especially if I'm constantly listening to it during my commute on the subway, at home, and so on.  I load up my iPhone with podcasts like This American Life, Radiolab, NPR Fresh Air, Freakonomics, the Moth, and Stuff You Should Know.  However, I've gotten to the point where I'm waiting and waiting for the next podcast to post.  It's time to get back on track and start making note of the songs I hear that catch my ear and search for them and others alike.

To my surprise, Mr. Z has been doing the same thing and shared this gem of an album with me.


I guess he's taking a break from his usual Bad Religion, NIN, and Pink Floyd.

In short and lack of better musical terms, I found the songs to be refreshing - especially in comparison to other current pop music.  Singer/songwriter Maureen Ann McDonald has a raspy but smoothly soulful voice that reminds me of a blended Patsy Cline/Ella Fitzgerald/Fiona Apple/Norah Jones/Adele/Michael Jackson circa Jackson 5.  With a nod to the past and catchy melodies, this album is easy to listen to and the upbeat tracks are appropriate for those clear skied, late summer bbq's where all your worries are shrugged away.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...